ANB Supports 4Kids of South Florida at the Rick Case 50 Years of Rocking and Rollin' EventJanuary 17, 2012
Gallup Survey Reports U.S. Consumer Spending Rises 4.1% Between Thanksgiving and ChristmasJanuary 3, 2012
American National Bank Encourages Consumers To Create a Budget
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, January 3, 2012
According to a recent Gallup survey, self-reported consumer spending rose by 4.1% over the five week period of Nov. 21 to Dec. 25. This is consistent with the National Retail Federation’s holiday sales expectations of a 3.8% increase. With the uptick in consumer spending, it is more important than ever for families to develop a budget and stick to it. Rainy-day funds, savings for college, or just making your rent payment can all be made easier with a budget. American National Bank supports its customer’s efforts to budget and save by offering expert guidance.
“A financial goal can be very motivating,” said Moyle Fritz, American National Bank Executive Vice President, COO, and CFO. “Whether you are saving for a family vacation, a down payment for a house or a new pair of shoes, if you stick to a plan, you’re likely to achieve your goal.”
Putting together a household budget requires time and effort. American National Bank offers the following steps to create a budget:
- Be a Spending Sleuth. Track every penny you spend for a month. Keep receipts and write everything down. This will be an eye-opening experience and will help you see where you can cut back.
- Count Your Money. Determine the total amount of money coming in. Include only your take home pay (your salary minus taxes and deductions). Your income may also include tips, child support, investment income, etc.
- Itemize, Categorize, Organize. Review the records and receipts you’ve been collecting over the last month. Categorize your spending using a budget sheet like the one offered by the American Bankers Association Education Foundation (also available in Spanish).
- He Shoots, He Scores. Set a realistic financial goal and develop your budget to achieve that goal. Subtract your monthly expenses from your monthly income. Find ways to cut spending and set limits on things like entertainment expenses.
- Save, Save, Save. Make one of your financial goals to save a certain dollar amount each month. Start an emergency fund if you don’t already have one. You never know when you may need it.
- Stick to it. Keep track of your spending every month. Update your budget as expenses or incomes change. Once you achieve your financial goal, set another.
About American National Bank
American National Bank is South Florida’s premier community bank. With over $200 million in assets, ANB has been serving small business owners, doctors, lawyers, accountants, and other professionals since 1985. Visit American National Bank’s website to learn more.